Hunter Park Kindergarten

Welcome to our Blog.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Weather Vane

Jack and Ollie wanted to fly the planes, but disaster one flew over the fence, they came to see me where I was having lunch and asked if I could retrieve it. Unfortunately I was in the middle of half a dozen jobs, as is usual for lunch time, and had to say no, but that I could get it later. So they began to explain to me how they were worried the wind would blow it away.
"Which way is the wind blowing?" I asked.
"This way, and this way, and this way, and this way."
Watching their hands it was clear the wind seemed to be coming from all directions at once. I explained how I needed to know if the wind would blow the plane towards the kindergarten or away from it, then showed the boys a simple way of measuring wind direction with a wet finger. When they returned they figured we'd have timeto get it later as the wind was blowing it back towards the kindergarten.Meanwhile outside Jo made a windsock. While the boys had lunch I asked them about the wind and the plane, and Jack looking out the window, was able to tell me which direction it was blowing from. When I asked how he knew, he pointed out the wind sock to me and explained how it worked. So I told him about weather vanes.
After lunch I asked Jack if he wanted to make a weather vane. He did but wasn't sure what one was still, so I showed him how I make one, then left him to it with the materials and mine to copy if he wanted. Later I put mine up,showed him and then Jack went to get his to put up too. Next he asked if he could take some photo's of them, so we found a camera and... Here's his shots. First of his one.
And of the one I made, which proved to bendy for the strong winds.


What a windy day.
David.

No comments: